With southern origins as rich as Georgia itself, sweet potato pie is a traditional dessert often served during the holiday season, such as Thanksgiving or Christmas, in the place of or alongside favorites, like pumpkin pie. With a filling that consists of sweet potatoes, buttermilk, sugar, and spices, sweet potato pie leaves little to be desired and is versatile in its ability to vary from airy and light to silky and dense.
If you’re looking to jazz up your dessert table this year, look no further than to this particular recipe for Sweet Potato Pie, which is thick, creamy, and perfectly sweetened. Add a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream, and you’ll surely be in heaven with a dessert that comes with a little kick of spice!
• 1 nine-inch unbaked pie crust
• 2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
• 2 tablespoons butter, softened
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ cup buttermilk
• ¼ teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Spices (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg), if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix together mashed sweet potatoes, butter or margarine, and eggs. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, flour, and salt. Mix in spices if desired. Add to sweet potato mixture and stir well.
3. Combine buttermilk and baking soda. Add to sweet potato mixture and stir well. Mix in vanilla extract. Pour filling into pastry shell.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 70 minutes, until set in the center.
Master the art of baking by joining Augusta Commons Apartments in Marietta, Georgia in learning brand-new recipes. Not only will you impress your family and friends, but you will also enjoy a wider repertoire of culinary favorites.